Sunday, April 12, 2015

C4T #3

‘Our Common Core’ Blog Image
IMG SRC: DML CENTRAL



For C4T #3 I commented on two blog posts by Howard Rheingold of DML Central.

For the first post, Rheingold wrote a post called "Our Common Core." In this post he analyzed the structure of the way educators teach, assess, and review. He also reviewed the "6 assumptions" made in the Postman Program:  “(1) that learning takes place best not when conceived as a preparation for life but when it occurs in the context of actually living, (2) that each learner ultimately must organize his own learning in his own way, (3) that problems and personal interests rather than subjects are a more realistic structure by which to organize learning experiences, (4) that students are capable of directly and authentically participating in the intellectual and social life of their community, (5) that they should do so, and (6) that the community badly needs them.” In my comment I provided my own insight on the 6 assuptions: "I am especially fond of the 6 assumptions. More specifically, "that problems and personal interests rather than subjects are a more realistic structure by which to organize learning experiences." I found this one particularly interesting because it is completely true. I always found it easier to do my work in high school when it pertained to real-life issues/experiences. this is something that I feel should be better incorporated into the classroom. Student's would not only gain additional life-advice from it, but it would also have a higher chance of sparking interest with the students."

For the second post, Rheingold wrote a post called "Assessing, Measuring Connected Learning Outcomes." In this post, Rheingold discusses the benefits of connected learning through an open classrooom. I found this especially interesting because it completely pertains to everything we are learning in EDM 310. He talks about the benefits of connecting with other k-12 students throughout the world. In my comment I discussed how we focus on doing exactly that in EDM 310, 

No comments:

Post a Comment